If you’re dreaming of eloping in the winter, one of the coolest ways to get around in the mountains is by snowmobile.
Picture this: you start with a trip out on a snowmobile ride (either just the two of you, or with your closest friends/family), set out for a scenic mountain pass, say your vows on some fresh snow, and celebrate with a cozy evening by the fireplace.
Although not ideal for anyone who doesn’t enjoy cold temps, eloping on a snowmobile ride is one kick-ass way to begin your marriage. Need some inspiration to get started? Check out this guide below to plan the ultimate snowmobile elopement adventure!
What is a Snowmobile Elopement?
Whether you just stumbled on the idea by exploring Pinterest or Instagram, or you’ve always imagined doing something completely out of the norm for your wedding day, you might not be sure exactly how this works.
A snowmobile elopement is a one-of-a-kind wedding day excursion where you can hire a snowmobile touring company or rent the snowmobiles and ride out on your own to see some of the best mountain views in winter. This allows you to travel farther and faster than you could via snowshoes, especially since many 4WD roads are closed to other vehicles between October and May.
It’s the ultimate way of traveling the mountains in winter, and bonus: you get to stay away from most (if not all!) other crowded areas this time of year.
Where to Elope on a Snowmobile in the US
Before you book a snowmobile company, start thinking about whether you want more privacy by renting gear on your own, or if you’d prefer to be in a group tour with a guide leading the way to some of the best spots. Some tours may be more restricting on scheduling enough time to linger in one place for a ceremony though, so that route may be better as an excursion to do separately from your elopement ceremony plans.
Colorado Snowmobile Companies
- Adventure Times Rentals, Frisco (this is the place we rented from in 2022 for a recent couple’s elopement trip)
- Snowmobile Adventures, Durango
- High Country Tours, Keystone
- Colorado Snowmobile, Summit County (Breckenridge, Dillon, etc.)
- Grand Adventures, Winter Park
- Elk Mountain Adventures, Leadville
- Good Times Adventures, Breckenridge
- Colorado Adventure Rentals, Crested Butte
- Alaska Backcountry Access, Anchorage + Girdwood
- Glacier City, Anchorage area
- Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours, Palmer
- Alaska Wild Guides, Girdwood
- Fairbanks Snowmobile Tours, Fairbanks
- Rod’s Alaskan Guide Service, North Pole (outside of Fairbanks)
- CM Backcountry Rentals, McCall
- Sawtooth Traxx, Stanley
- Mountain Meadow, Donnelly
- High Mountain Adventures, Island Park
- Old Faithful, Yellowstone
- Teton Tour Company, Jackson
- Scenic Safaris, Jackson + Moran
- Jackson Hole Backcountry Rentals, Jackson
The Northeast: Vermont + Maine
- Snowmobile Vermont, Stowe + Killington/Okemo, VT
- Stratton Adventures, Stratton Mountain, VT
- Northeast Snowmobile, Fryeburg, ME
- Northwoods Outfitters, Greenville, ME
The Upper Midwest: Minnesota + Wisconsin
- Fractional Toys, St. Paul, MN
- Nisswa Adventure Rentals, Nisswa, MN
- Adventure North, Minocqua, WI
- Runamuk Rides, Hayward, WI
Snowmobiling Outside of the US
Take your elopement day to the next level by traveling internationally! There is a whole world out there to explore, and if you aren’t bringing any other guests with you, why settle for something so close to home? Here’s a list of some of the best places to snowmobile for your elopement across the globe:
- The Swiss Alps
- New Zealand
How to Elope on a Snowmobile
- One of the first things we recommend when considering this type of adventure elopement is how far away from home you want to be. Do you want to be able to drive and not worry about possible snowstorms canceling or delaying your flight? Are you wanting a true destination feel somewhere on the opposite side of the country (or outside of the US)?
- Narrow down your list by also considering what else you’re wanting to experience while you’re in the area, think: food/drinks, other excursions you’ve always wanted to do together, and whether or not you’ll be eloping with guests.
- Next, you’ll want to start reaching out to elopement photography/videography teams who can help you plan your epic elopement experience. And the best part? Most of us travel anywhere, so you don’t have to feel restricted to vendors already living in the area you want to visit. At Skyewater Photo + Film, unlimited planning assistance is something every one of our couples have access to after booking with us, so we are here to help you find the best touring company to work with!
- After chatting with your photography/videography and planning team, you’ll select a date that works for everyone and begin reaching out to snowmobiling rental or tour companies as soon as you can, ideally at least a couple months advance. Keep in mind that some companies are only open seasonally, so you may have to wait until the beginning of the winter season before securing services with them.
- Then, all the other details can fall into place. You’ll want to secure lodging, as well as any other vendors (like florists, hair and makeup, officiants, etc.) as soon as you can.
Snowmobile Elopement FAQs
How much time do we have on the snowmobiles?
This will highly depend on the location and touring company. Some offer smaller excursions for 2-3 hours, while others offer half or even full day rental/tour options. We recommend a minimum of 3-4 hours for the tour itself, to give you plenty of time to stop more than once and enough time for a ceremony if that is part of your plans for the day.
Can we bring guests to join us on the snowmobile tour?
Most companies have dozens of snowmobiles available, so the answer is most likely! Just be sure to keep the groups small and be aware of things like physical limitations and age, such as for older guests or children.
How much photo/video coverage time should we book with you for a snowmobile elopement?
Even if your gear rental or tour is only a few hours, we highly recommend adding on additional time for other parts of your day to be captured, from moments like getting ready in your hotel or rental home, a lunch or dinner celebration after the excursion ends, or other activities you’re doing on your trip, like dog-sledding or relaxing by the fireplace.
Most of our couples end up with 8 or more hours to feel less rushed/stressed on the day of, or book a two-day experience with a private snowmobile tour one day, and a more traditional ceremony and reception with family the following day.
How early should we book the snowmobiles?
As early as you can. Many companies in locations like Alaska only operate certain times of the year (November – April), so booking with them as soon as their season/booking calendar opens is best. Coordinate with both your tour company and your vendor team to find the best time of year for your ideal location and be able to discuss backup plans in case of weather.
What should we wear?
Plenty of layers for sure! Snowmobile companies will provide you with a helmet and goggles to wear, but you’ll need to bring your own protective clothing to stay warm. Attire like ski or snow pants, fleece under layers, gloves, snow boots, and a winter jacket are all super important for comfort while riding around.
Other Winter Elopement Activity Ideas
Not quite sure a snowmobile excursion is for you, but still want some sort of outdoorsy experience in the snow? Here are some other epic adventure ideas:
- Ride out on a dog-sledding tour in Alaska (or a helicopter elopement + dog-sledding combo – if you didn’t already know, you can see glaciers in summertime in Alaska!).
- Snowshoe to a frozen alpine lake in Colorado.
- Elope on the slopes with a skiing or snowboarding wedding day!
Hire an Elopement Photo + Video Team with Snowmobile Elopement Experience!
Having captured a snowmobiling excursion for a Colorado elopement this winter, we now know exactly what to expect from this type of experience for your big day and would love to help future couples see new places from such a unique perspective.
Whether you’re looking for an elopement photographer to explore the mountains with, a videographer with a drone license to capture your day in the snow from above, or a guide to walk you through the planning process, contact Skyewater Photo + Film!
We help couples plan epic elopements and destination weddings all over the US and we can’t wait to bring your elopement vision to life.